Countdown to RED RAIDER FOOTBALL

Tuesday, May 13

My Mother's Day 2008

Me and the REASON I get to celebrate Mother's Day! May 11 was my actual due date - that would have made for a really special Mom's day, but I am not complaining he was 3 weeks early. He was still 6 lbs 14.5 ounces! Not a day goes by that he doesn't wear that Spidey suit. The flowers in the wagon were just the ones we planted in the backyard.

Saturday evening Patrick and I went to rent movies and he of course got. . . a Spiderman cartoon – what else – and I saw Pete’s Dragon in the family section. Pete’s Dragon was one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorite, movie when I was about Patrick’s age. My parents have several stories of me telling people about my invisible dragon Elliot (the dragon in the movie.) Now Patrick is telling stories about Elliot being with us – just like I did! That’s kinda scary, but in a sentimental way. After Patrick watched the Spidey movie, we watched Pete’s Dragon together on a palate on the Tech room floor and ate little pizzas together. I could sing all the songs even to this day! He has been telling everyone that Pete’s Dragon was one of my favorite movies when I was a little girl.


Patrick has been waking me up in the middle of the night with his bad dreams. I don’t think he wakes up, he just cries and screams. Seriously. He woke up once Saturday night and walked into my room. I picked him up and he was all crying and I couldn’t get him to stop. I asked him what he needed and he said “I need you.” Ah!!! It’s sweet and therapeutic to hear that my “big boy” needs me even though I don’t think he is fully aware of what he does when he wakes up.

After church, Patrick and I went to my parents’ house for lunch - Patrick says it’s a rule that we go to Doodah and Papa J’s after church for lunch. Dad grilled steaks and made baked potatoes and my grandfather joined us. After lunch, we all watched Pete’s Dragon. Just after watching it twice Patrick started singing some of the songs
I surprised my mom with a pedicure before the Stamps’ wedding. You can't see them in this picture, but we both had sassy little flowers painted on them too, which really messed with Patrick. I also got her some flowers for actual Mother’s Day. Yes, that is a Tanqueray bottle as the “vase.” They had an empty one and I said I thought it would make a nice vase in her green kitchen. She laughed, but I took it home, soaked off the label and gave it to her yesterday. How perfect is it with the “T” and all.

Mom and Dad bought me lots of flowers for my flower pots for Mother’s Day. So after Pete’s Dragon, we went to my house plant. And Dad did my lawn. No more breakdowns about the pitiful shape my lawn was in. Funny story – he was edging along the fence in the back while I was watering one of the pots by the fence and something totally hit me on the forehead. We didn’t take time to pick up Rudy’s poop and think a piece of old poop hit me in the head!!!! My yard looks amazing now with the cut grass and colorful flowers. I am excited about hanging out in my backyard now. Dad got me and Mom orchid Mother’s Day corsages – which we wore all day, even while planting flowers. All in all we planted 19 – yes NINETEEN – flower pots. Heaven forbid my mother and I actually relax and take it easy on Mother's Day. Like mother, like daughter.






2 comments:

Jennifer Adling said...

Looks great! can we hire Jim out?

Kim said...

Busy Busy you we're on Mothers day...love the tang. bottle you did for your mom!!! And all your freaking flower pots....how fun!