Countdown to RED RAIDER FOOTBALL

Monday, June 2

The Day the Hecklers Cried

Coach Hays at the press conference. The Hecklers by our outfield sign in 2000 (maybe?).

Patrick and his last birthday picture with Coach Hays, 2008.
Patrick's 3rd birthday picture with Coach Hays, 2007.


It's official. Coach Larry Hays is officially retiring as Head Coach of the Red Raiders effective immediately. The Hecklers were invited to the press conference. Blayne Beal, baseball media relations guru, opened the press conference with a litany of Coach's accomplishments. He closed with thoughts of "my friend Coach Hays." That's when I started getting teary-eyed. Then Coach got up to speak and he got all choked up. My tears began to flow. Then I looked at the other Hecklers that were there. I really let the tears flow when I saw Chris Snead crying. Coach Hays thanked the Hecklers, then in the same breath thanked the umpires. Not sure what to make of that. Gus made us all laugh when he asked Coach if he was going to learn the words to "The Gringo Song" and come sing with us.



Coach Hays is Tech Baseball as I know it. I am looking forward to the new Tech baseball era with Spencer as Head Coach, but Coach Hays has always been near and dear to my heart because of my days spent as baseball promotions coordinator, and as a Heckler and for all Patrick's birthday pictures we have taken with him.

3 comments:

Jennifer Adling said...

We will miss him as coach, but he will still be around!! Great guy!

Kerry Kern said...

I saw that on the news and thought of you!!! He was a great coach

Britta said...

"You're looking at a lucky guy," Hays said. "You're looking at someone who's really thankful, thankful to Texas Tech for allowing me to get to do this for so long. Through the good times and bad times, everything was good. When we had bad times it was good for me because it helped me trust God and I realized I don't have the answer.

"You're not going to be able to get one regret out of me but one, and that is that I don't get to have the fun of having a good run with (the current assistants) like I did with the other staffs."

STRAIGHT CLASS.