Countdown to RED RAIDER FOOTBALL

Friday, April 6

Britta the Bibliophile (that means booklover)

This Friday’s topic - Favorite books. These are TOTALLY, completely random favorites.

1. The Drifters by James Michener. The book my name comes from. Britta is the second character in the book. My dad gave me a vintage copy when I was in my early 20s. Good thing he waited until then – it’s a book about coming of age, sex, defiance and “finding yourself.”
2. The Courage to Teach by Parker Palmer. I did a presentation on this book for my College Teaching class. This was THE BOOK that convinced me my calling was in higher education working with students. I recently re-read it on a work trip. Very inspiring. It should be required reading for ALL teachers.
3. Laugh Again by Charles Swindoll. I have re-read this one, too. It’s an essay about St. Paul’s letters to the Philippians and Ephesians while he was imprisoned and how he was able to talk about his joy in following Christ. Charles Swindoll presents his ideas simply and uses great visuals.
4. Something More and Simple Abundances by Sarah Ban Breathnach. Two different titles. They are both guides to finding personal joy, comfort and passion. Very introspective reading. Again, I have re-read these. These were both important in “helping me be happy with me” – if that makes any sense.
5. Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton. This was the first book I started reading to Patrick when he was only weeks old and we have read it ever since. We have read it so much that he has memorized it! My sweet friend Mary Kate bought Patrick a Sandra Boynton Snuggle Puppy book with a cd, so now he SINGS Snuggle Puppy. This one has also become one of my standard baby gifts.
6. Moby Dick by Hermann Melville. This was my junior English teacher’s favorite book and it rubbed off on me. I loved the themes in the book and wrote one of my best papers ever for this book. And it has one of the best beginning lines ever. . . “Call me Ahab.”
7. Dan Brown’s Angles & Demons and The DaVinci Code. I borrowed The DaVinci Code from my grandfather while I was on bed rest. I read it in 2 days. I was totally enthralled! I read Angels & Demons in vacation in Galveston, again in 2 days. I thought The DaVinci Code movie was pretty right on. I even liked Tom Hanks. I can’t wait to see Angels & Demons.

My LEAST favorite book Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt. Paul encouraged me to read this one after I finished The DaVinci Code while I was on bed rest. It was about a poor Irish family and was SO depressing, ESPECIALLY since I was on bed rest and about to have a baby.

1 comment:

Kerry Kern said...

Good ones, I have not read any of these, now I know whats a good read!! That's why it is my topic this week so I can get some good ideas on reading material!