Countdown to RED RAIDER FOOTBALL

Friday, March 23

Fredericksburg - my "I'd go back again" vacation spot

I have never been to Vegas. I think it might be sensory - and sin - overload for me.

I have been to Fredericksburg with Paul, my dear friend Katie, my Dude of Honor Steve, my parents and cousin Russell, and my Red Raider Camp students, and it never gets old. Paul I have “relaxed,” as opposed to “vacation,” in Fredericksburg several times. And we’re going back again this May to celebrate his 30th birthday. It’s such a relaxing little place with everything you could need – varieties of beers & Texas wines, comfy cottages, live music and just enough shopping to keep me and Paul happy. We never really make it off Main St. in Fredericksburg, but we usually come home with a jar or two of picked garlic to use in cooking, some new jewelry for me, and some good smelling candles from this store I can remember the name of.

http://www.altdorfbiergarten.com Altdorf Biergarten
Great place to relax and have a beer between shops. They also have great breakfast menu items. I’ve had Eggs Benedict and Paul had Weiner Schnitzel and apples. Mmmm!

http://www.yourbrewery.com Fredericksburg Brewing Company
Great burgers! Paul likes the shepherd’s pie. Pizzas, too. And the beer of course. They will sell you a plastic cup of beer to go so you can drink and shop. I LOVE THIS PLACE!

http://www.herb-farm.com Fredericksburg Herb Farm
Quaint dining room. And when I say quaint, I mean like 8 tables. Extraordinary menu! I think Paul got some kind of game here and it was fabulous! Desserts are homemade every day, too.

There is a place on Main Street that is a beer & wine store. I think it’s Texas Vineyards & beyond, but not sure. Their website wasn’t working. You can create your own 6-packs and buy all the Texas wines. This is where Paul & I discovered St. Arnold’s Lawnmower wine.

http://www.fredericksburg-lodging.com Bed & Breakfast reservation site.
This is THE BEST Fredericksburg website. You can sort the bed & breakfasts by # of people, amenities, children allowed, full kitchens, bed size – you name it – and you can see pictures of the places. Then you can even look to see if the one you like is available when you want it. Paul & I have used this each time we have gotten a cottage in Fredericksburg. Our favorite is http://www.fredericksburg-lodging.com/aarons-cottage Aaron’s Cottage. Nothing fancy, but it has a jacuziz bathtub and hot tub, anda great front porch. It’s also on a small ranch with exotic animals like axis and zebras. It’s located on the same road as Luckenbach so it’s easy to find you way home. Wink wink

http://www.luckenbachtexas.com And if you are that close, you might as well go to Luckenbach. We love to go and just sit and listen to the locals play. We’ve never really been there on a concert weekend. We like the "relaxing Luckenbach." I also like to hunt for the rooster in the trees. I have done this every time I have been to Luckenbach. Maybe that was a Shiner-induced idea. . .

I can’t WAIT until May 18th!

3 comments:

Averi said...

I love me some Fredricksburg, too! I am not so sure about Weiner Schnitzel and apples...but whatever floats your boat!

Jennifer Adling said...

Luckenbach is wonderful! Love seeing WIllie there. Also Chris Mossers wedding was so much fun there!!

Kerry Kern said...

Good ones, I love Fredricksburg too, but have only stopped off very quickly to run in a shop or two,great ideas thanks Britta!