Countdown to RED RAIDER FOOTBALL

Thursday, February 21

Much needed affirmation

Patrick was at home with a high fever again yesterday, so I got to stay home with him. I have never seen him as sick as he was yesterday and have never felt someone as feverishly warm as he was. His eyes were so unlike Patrick - just no sparkle. He didn't want to move at all from 11am to 4pm and he refused to let me leave his side. All he wanted was for me to tickle his arms and his back and to read him books. I gentley combed his hair with my fingers as he slept. Is there anything better? It was very therapeutic for both of us.

It was a good feeling to be that needed. It was an affirmation I had been lacking for a while. This whole "single thing" has been tough for me because I feel a "need to be needed." I think that has been the hardest adjustment as far as the loneliness goes.

His fever eventually broke and he was a new kid. He barely ate all day but then scarfed down a whole bowl of mac'y'cheese. And he wanted to watch Superman. While we were eating he was telling me all about Superman and who was who and that Lois was pretty and Lex "Lufer" was the bad guy. He aslo explained to me how volcanoes "b'plode" - complete with "b'polding"arm motions. I laughed for a while then explained that they explode. He also switched gears to Staw Wars and told me "sometimes, Anakin has crazy hair and sometime he has pretty hair." So then I had to question why Anakin had "pretty" hair if Patrick had "handsome" hair - trying to draw the distinction between boys being "handsome" and girls being "pretty," which Patrick is aware. Then he changed his rave to "sometimes Anakin has crazy hair and sometimes he has handsome hair." I am so thankful for my son who continues to make me smile and laugh and give thanks to God for him every day.

1 comment:

Through the Eyes of Kenda said...

What a touching post! Children are so special and I esp know what you mean about four year olds...Blaze keeps us laughing continuously. Glad you got your affirmation. You are all good, girl!