Countdown to RED RAIDER FOOTBALL

Friday, February 22

NASCAR and Science

I went with some of my students this morning to judge a science fair at a Lubbock Elementary. There was one project that totally crushed me. The topic was NASCAR. But it gets better. The research question was "why are NASCAR cars and trucks faster than other cars and trucks?" the research, evidence, analysis were pictures of NASCAR cars and trucks torn (not even cut) out of magazines and taped with masking tape to the presentation board. The conclusion was that "NASCAR cars and trucks are faster that other cars and trucks cause of they have new engines (spelled incorrectly, but I don't remember how badly) and they have alot (sic) of HORES power." YES, if you did now know NASCAR cars and trucks have HORES power. I was crying I was laughing so hard. The lack of science in this science fair project concerns me and makes me question the teacher's involvement with the project, but it made me laugh laugh on this Friday morning.

TGIF, friend!

No comments: