Countdown to RED RAIDER FOOTBALL

Tuesday, July 29

In honor of my Sweet Mammy - March 28, 1918 - July 23, 2008




For those of you who don't know, Mammy - Dad's mom - passed away around 4:45 Wednesday, July 23. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend some one-on-one time with her that afternoon, just sitting and holding her arm. She passed away in peace and with no pain.

Earlier Wednesday, July 23, she had this conversation with my Aunt Jane
Mammy: What time is it?
Aunt Jane: 9:15
Mammy: I have a date.
Aunt Jane: With who?
Mammy: Bill (my grandfather who passed away 7 years ago)
Jane: What time?
Mammy: 11:30
Jane: Where?
Mammy: Turkey (Texas)
Jane: Oh yeah?
Mammy: We're going to the dance to hear Bob Wills

So Mammy made her date. A little late, but that was typical for her. It makes my heart smile to know she is there with my Daddy Bill. I will always remember this story. And when I hear Bob Wills.

The casket flowers were ALL PINK flowers. They were gorgeous and filled the room with such a sweet smell. My dad's cousin and Mammy's nephew is the owner of College Flowers, and he designed these himself.
On the way to Floydada on Wednesday morning, Patrick was cold, so Doodah covered him up with newspapers. As you can tell by the look on his face, he was about as thrilled with the newspaper blanket as I was.

5 comments:

The Youngs said...

I am sorry for your loss. I love the story of her date. She was obviously very loved...

Caroline said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. However, that is a great story. I hope she is enjoying her date.

Kendra said...

So sorry for your loss...I'm glad you got to spend that time with her....

Kerry Kern said...

The flowers were beautiful! She looke like such a sweet grandma!!!

Tiffany said...

So sorry for the loss of your beautiful gramdma! Tiffany, Jay, Wes & Brooklyn