Countdown to RED RAIDER FOOTBALL

Friday, February 9

Britta's Soundtrack

I kinda changed this Friday’s blog topic. It was supposed to be “Top 5 songs and why,” but it was too hard to choose 5, so I am blogging “Britta’s Soundtrack.”

Machinehead by Bush. I would choose this as my “at-bat”song if I was ever at-bat. And that’s a BIG IF or more like a NEVER. Every time I hear this song I think “my at-bat song.” I also like to work out to this song.
Higher by Creed. This is the song that was on the radio when I got done with my GRE. I decided on a Monday to take it on Wednesday and I ROCKED it after no studying. Hearing it reminds me that I can do anything I set my mind to.
Have I Told You Lately (That I Love You ) by Van Morrison. This was our first dance song at our wedding. I also think it’s a song that stands the test of time and a marriage.
Mahna Mahna by the Muppets. This has been one of Patrick’s favorite songs since he could talk. He says, “Do, mom. I wanna hear Do!” Now he is getting to where he’ll sing Animal’s part and the do-do-do’s. This song also reminds me of the folks I attended WTA&Ms Buffalo Awakening with. This was the Tech staff skit.
You Can Call me Al by Paul Simon. This has always been mine and my dad’s song. Not really sure why other than that we wore that tape out. It’s a fun song that we like to sing together.
Only the Good Die Young by Billy Joel. This one is for my mom. One night she and I went to Jazz and Kyle Abernathie dedicated it to us, since we were “Catholic girls” in the crowd. It also reminds me of the good times I had with my CSA crew. “It’s better to laugh with the sinners that cry with the saints.”
George’s Bar by Pat Green. This one is for Josh and the time when I called him from the Pat Green free concert at the fair. And the million times I have told Paul this story and it NEVER gets old – at least for me. It makes me think of fun times dancing with my brother, especially in the parking lot of the hotel in Palm Springs when I drove with him out to Cali when he was in the Marines. Note: Don’t try to make kazis with pre-mixed margarita mix.
Hollerback Girl by Gwen Steffani. This one if for “my girls” and our cheer-off. I think about that trip and how fun it is to be young at heart when I listen to it.
Bricklayer’s Beautiful Daughter by William Ackerman. A guitarist at St. Elizabeth’s learned this song from the cd to play as I walked down the aisle at our wedding. My dad introduced me to the song and I always knew that is what I wanted as my entrance song. I listen to guitar music on my internet radio and it plays at least once a day. It makes me stop and smile about all the blessings my family Paul bring to my life.
Fight, Raiders! Fight! This song makes me proud to be a Red Raider and to work for Tech. I have actually sung it in my sleep at Red Raider Camp and now Patrick knows the words at 2. Supporting Tech through football, baseball, the Hecklers, SaddleTramps. . . will always be important to me and Paul. Hell, we have a whole Tech Room. And Raider Red was at our wedding!

6 comments:

Kerry Kern said...

Those are great songs Britta!

Jennifer Adling said...

I ain't no Hollerback Girl....the trip won't be the same without you. Please plan on next year! Love it all Pat Green, Van Morrison, etc. You can call me al...that is funny. Chevy Chase is great in the video!

Through the Eyes of Kenda said...

I love Van Morrison soooo much. I agree with Jen...You Can Call Me Al is a song I would have never thought about but I will always think of you when I hear that song...if it ever comes on again! Heee heeee! You aren't going on the girl's trip? Bummer!

Stephanie said...

Woo hoo go Creed. Great song...and i love the story behind it.

Kim said...

No fair, I struggled with this topic so much...only 5 songs was tough and all weekend I've been like...ugghhh I should have done that song or this song....oh well!!
Love all the stories, and great song choices!! I have to say I love that you guys are such big Tech supporters, and that Patrick is following in those footsteps, so awesome.
Raider Red at your wedding...NO WAY!!
Great Blogging...loved this post!!

Stacy Chance said...

Wow I love Britta's soundtrack. This topic is so hard for me. I will try to post mine ASAP. I wish you were going on the girls trip.